Together Through the Storms: Biblical Encouragements for Your Marriage When Life HurtsISBN: 9781784984724
This devotional helps married couples to navigate the storms of life together. Working through the book of Job, Sarah Walton (author of "Hope when it Hurts") and her husband Jeff reflect on their own experiences in a marriage that has faced chronic illness, baggage from the past, a child with neurological challenges, and financial difficulties-and show how to cling to Christ and each other.
This is not a "how to" guide on having the best marriage, but, rather, a walk alongside you and your spouse, sharing the realities of suffering and the effects it can have on a marriage. It is an encouragement to lift your eyes above your trials, off your spouse, and onto our all-sufficient Savior.
Table of Contents:
1. Our Hope in Life and Marriage
2. When Trials Come
3. How to Cling to Hope in Loss
4. Holding All Things Loosely
5. Loving Your Spouse Through Chronic Illness
6. Learning to Lead (A Word for Husbands)
7. Learning to Follow (A Word for Wives)
8. Only God Can Change a Heart: When Your Spouse Fails You
9. When People Bring Judgment Instead of Comfort
10. Waiting Well When God Seems Silent
11. The Strange Gift of Lamenting
12. Walking the Valley of Despair Hand in Hand
13. When Your Pasts Threaten Your Present
14. Who Am I Now? Identity Crisis and Your Marriage
15. When You Feel Alone in the Storm
16. Suffering and Intimacy (Part One)
17. Suffering and Intimacy (Part Two)
18. Longing for Kids, Struggling With Kids: When Family Isn't What You Dreamed Of
19. Why Our Family?
20. Prayers for Prodigal Children
21. Rediscovering (or Keeping) the Joy
22. God's Answers to Our "Whys"
23. From Hearing to Seeing: The Fruit of Humility
24. The Glue that Keeps You Together: Forgiveness
25. The Best Is Yet to Come
Jeff Walton is a member of The Orchard Church in Chicago. He is married to Sarah, and they have four young children. He grew up in Cleveland and works in healthcare technology sales.
Sarah Walton is the author of Hope When It Hurts. She is married to Jeff and is mother to four young children. She lives in Chicago and blogs at setapart.net.
"Offers sound scriptural wisdom for persevering through the hard things that come to every marriage at some point in the real world. Jeff and Sarah winsomely encourage couples to set a course for long-term joy in spite of sorrow, longterm contentment in spite of disappointment, and longterm hope in anticipation of ultimate restoration." -
--Nancy Guthrie, Bible teacher; Author
"Sarah and Jeff are writing while life is still hard, and they talk about your storms. The only problem is this: you will not be able to give this book to your friends because you and your spouse will keep going back to the prayers at the end of each chapter. If couples pray those prayers together, they will be transformed."
--Ed Welch, Counselor, CCEF; Author, When People Are Big and God Is Small and Side by Side
|Number of Pages:||282|
|Author:||Walton, Jeff & Sarah|
|Publisher:||The Good Book Company|