8 Women of FaithISBN: 9781433548925
With the majority of books about church history centering on the lives and accomplishments of men, it is easy for contemporary Christians to forget the vital role that women have played in the history of Christianity. Drawing from journal entries, personal letters, and other historical documents, historian Michael Haykin reminds Christians of women from previous generations who have helped shape the church.
This book affords readers deep insights into how women such as Jane Austen, Sarah Edwards, and Anne Steele responded to challenges in society, came to embrace key doctrines, and made crucial contributions to the life of the church.
Table of Contents:
Foreword by Karen Swallow Prior
1. The Witness of Jane Grey, an Evangelical Queen - "Faith Only Justifieth"
2. Richard Baxter's Testimony about Margaret Baxter - "Ruled by Her Prudent Love in Many Things"
3. Anne Dutton and Her Theological Works - "The Glory of God, and the Good of Souls"
4. Sarah Edwards and the Vision of God - "A Wonderful Sweetness"
5. Anne Steele and Her Hymns - "The Tuneful Tongue That Sung . . . Her Great Redeemer's Praise"
6. Esther Edwards Burr on Friendship - "One of the Best Helps to Keep Up Religion in the Soul"
7. Ann Judson and the Missionary Enterprise - "Truth Compelled Us"
8. The Christian Faith of Jane Austen - "The Value of That Holy Religion
Michael A. G. Haykin (ThD, University of Toronto) is professor of church history and biblical spirituality at the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary and director of the Andrew Fuller Center for Baptist Studies. He has authored or edited more than twenty-five books, including Rediscovering the Church Fathers: Who They Were and How They Shaped the Church.
|Number of Pages:||160|