The Created CosmosISBN: 9780890519738
The Scriptures contain an incredible wealth of knowledge in what they communicate about the science of astronomy. Even more significantly, because the Scriptures are the inerrant word of God, what the Bible conveys to us about astronomy is of unparalleled importance in shaping our thinking on the subject. The Created Cosmos is an intensely detailed examination of the scriptural outlook on the cosmos, constructing an integrated understanding of what the Bible plainly teaches about astronomy, and answering complex questions about astronomy from the standpoint of a biblical worldview.
Part 1: Astronomical Concepts in the Bible: What Scripture Plainly Teaches about Astronomy
1. Biblical Theology and the Study of Astronomy
2. Biblical Teachings about the Heavens and the Earth
3. Biblical Teachings about the Sun, the Moon, and the Stars
4. Biblical Teachings about the Purpose of the Heavenly Bodies
5. Biblical Teachings about and Warnings against Astrology
Part 2: Astronomical Anomalies in the Bible: What Scripture Says about Unusual Astronomical Events
6. The Unusual Days of Joshua and Hezekiah
7. The "Christmas Star" of Matthew 2
8. Astronomical Aspects of Good Friday and Resurrection Sunday
9. Astronomical Aspects of Prophetic Literature and the End Times
Part 3: Astronomical Questions and the Bible: How Scripture Confronts Recent Questions about Astronomy
10. Does the Bible Teach the Year Was Once 360 Days Long?
11. Does the Bible Refute the Light-Travel-Time Problem?
12. Does the Bible Address the Idea of Extraterrestrial Life?
Part 4: Astronomy and Distortions of the Bible: Misconceptions of What Scripture Teaches about Astronomy
13. The Errors of Flat-Earth Cosmology and Geocentrism
14. The Gospel in the Stars: Introduction and Alleged Basis
15. The Gospel in the Stars: Assumptions and Some Difficulties
16. The Gospel in the Stars: Additional Problems and Conclusions
Dr. Danny R. Faulkner has a B.S. (Math), M.S. (Physics), M.A. and Ph.D. (Astronomy, Indiana University). He is Distinguished Professor Emeritus at the University of South Carolina Lancaster, where he taught physics and astronomy. Upon his retirement from the University at the end of 2012, Dr. Faulkner assumed the position of astronomer at Answers in Genesis and the Creation Museum. He has published more than one hundred papers in various astronomy and astrophysics journals. He also serves on the Board of Directors of the Creation Research Society and is the editor of the Creation Research Society Quarterly.
Few indeed are the conservative, evangelical voices that can speak in the midst of the melee with authority founded on both credentialed scientific expertise and a degree of linguistic and exegetical skill sufficient to allow the sacred Scriptures also to speak and to do so with persuasive power. Such a work is this. -Eugene H. Merrill
|Number of Pages:||352|