Understanding Genesis: How to Analyze, Interpret, and Defend ScriptureISBN: 9780890519004
There are many opinions and subsequent interpretations on the Book of Genesis. What did the author of Genesis intend and how can we possibly know, or is the important thing only what the Bible "means to you"?
In this book, Dr. Jason Lisle answers questions such as:
- What are the most common mistakes people make in trying to understand Genesis?
- What are the necessary rules of biblical interpretation, and what is the proper role of science in understanding the Bible?
- How does one identify the various types of biblical literature, and how do the rules of interpretation handle each type - poetic, prophetic, historical, etc.?
Is there one correct interpretation of the Bible, or are there many? Discover why alternative positions are rationally impossible. Unlock a powerful understanding of God's Word and equip yourself with a reasoned defense against those who distort the Word of God.
Table of Contents:
1. That's Your Interpretation!
2. The Bible as a Work of Literature
3. Exposing Faulty Methods of Hermeneutics
4. Me, My Bible, and the Holy Spirit
5. Types of literature in the Bible
6. Common Hermeneutical Principles and Fallacies
7. The Role of Logic in Biblical Interpretation
8. Logical Fallacies in Biblical Interpretation
9. The Bible's Instructions on Interpretation
10. Application - Common Hermeneutical Errors
11. The Age of the Earth
12. A Case for Eisegesis?
13. Theistic Evolution
14. The Extent of the Flood
Appendix A: A Dialog with a Heretic, and a Defense of the Trinity
Appendix B: Formal Fallacies
|Number of Pages:||496|