RiskTakers - Danger & DedicationISBN: 9781845505875
Adventures of famous believers:
- William Tyndale sets about translating the Bible into English. He works in secret and is in constant danger of being imprisoned by agents of the king and church.
- Adoniram Judson risks his life so that Burmese people can hear the Gospel. He is cruelly treated and faces imprisonment.
- Jonathan Goforth survives an attack by an angry group of rebel Chinese men, but continues to travel and preach to the people of China.
- Bruce F. Hunt faces imprisonment for refusing to worship the emperor, but God gives him a song to encourage him.
- Moses meets God at a burning bush and confronts Pharaoh about setting his people free.
- Paul is thrown into prison for sharing his faith, but he goes on to build the early church.
These men were all willing to take risks. They faced danger and difficulties. Some even died for what they believed in. While reading their exciting stories you will learn about why they did what they did and who it was who helped them.
With extra devotional features and life summaries, this illustrated book will help young readers to discover the excitement of a Christian life as well as the cost.
Linda Finlayson is a Canadian living in the Philadelphia area of the USA. She has enjoyed working with children in schools, churches and children's clubs. Bringing together her love of books, children and history has given her the opportunity to write the adventure stories of real people. Linda is married and has one son.
In this day and age, we are often told that it is difficult to make children take an interest in history. That is not necessarily so; rather, it depends upon choosing the right stories, and telling them the right way. In these books, Linda Finlayson does it again: great tales, well told. Many parents will owe her a debt of gratitude.
--Carl R. Trueman, Professor in the Department of Biblical and Religious Studies, Grove City College, Pennsylvania
These stories of Christian heroes and heroines are riveting. Based completely on fact, yet Linda Finlayson has given us a page-turner. While meant to encourage young readers to become risk-takers for the Lord, these accounts never moralize. In the bargain, we learn how God has been at work all over the world, in very different cultures, through unusually gifted missionaries who nevertheless had clay feet. I wish I had been given such a book as a young person. Every family library needs at least one copy.
--William Edgar, Professor of Apologetics, Westminster Theological Seminary, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
|Number of Pages:||127|
|Publisher:||Christian Focus Publications|